Article I Name
Section 1. The name of this Association shall be the Arkansas Association of School Personnel Administrators. Within the body of this Constitution, the Association shall be referred to as ArkASPA.
Article II Duration
Section 1. The period of its duration is perpetual, until or unless dissolved by the ArkASPA Board of Directors.
Article Ill Affiliation
Section 1. ArkASPA will be affiliated with the Arkansas Association of Educational Administrators (hereafter referred to as AAEA) and the American Association of School Personnel Administrators (hereafter referred to as AASPA).
Article IV Mission and Purposes
Section 1. The mission of ArkASPA is to provide leadership in promoting effective human resources practices in Arkansas educational settings through a statewide resource network of human resource professionals and through professional development activities.
Section 2.The purposes of this Association shall be:
1. to maintain and elevate the professional and ethical standards of personnel administrators in Arkansas;
2. to improve the educational standards related to human resources administration in the schools of Arkansas;
3. to promote the welfare and the professional growth of the members of the Association;
4. to establish and maintain liaisons between other professional organizations with like purposes;
5. to develop a favorable relationship with the public and the elected officials of the state of Arkansas;
6. to provide a means for ArkASPA to have a collective influence on the establishment and execution of positive human resources policies and practices within Arkansas;
7. to keep the membership informed of state and national events and activities that would positively or adversely affect personnel practices in Arkansas.
8. to promote the use of professional qualifications as the criteria for recruitment, selection, appointment, retention, and advancement of school personnel;
9. to acquaint teacher applicants in particular and the public in general with the needs, opportunities, and procedures for securing and retaining professional school staff.
10. to promote improvement in teacher education;
11. to promote improvement in teacher certification;
12. to provide assistance, support, and educational training to the membership through seminars, conferences, and written communications;
Article V Disillusionment/Disposition of Assets
Section 1. Whenever, for any reason, ArkASPA is dissolved or is no longer able to accomplish and carry out the specific purposes for which ArkASPA was formed, the Board of Directors shall terminate the affairs of ArkASPA, pay its debts, and after this has been done, convey and assign any and all of the remaining assets, without consideration, to the Arkansas Association of Educational Administrators for the use and benefit of the children of the state as a furtherance of the educational purpose to which ArkASPA is dedicated.
Article VI Membership
Section 1. Membership in ArkASPA shall be open to any member of AAEA interested in or engaged in any phase of school administration, directly or indirectly related to human resource administration.
Section 2. Only those holding membership in ArkASPA will be eligible to vote, hold office, or serve on the Board of Directors.
Article VII Board of Directors of the Association
Section 1. The officers of the Association shall consist of the president, vice-president/president-elect, secretary-treasurer, and the immediate past president. The officers shall be elected at the annual business meeting of ArkASPA and shall hold office for a period of one year following their election.
Section 2. The Board of Directors of the Association shall consist of the four officers (president, vice-president/president-elect, secretary-treasurer, and immediate past president) and six board members. Board members shall be elected at-large, but care shall be taken to have representation from all geographical areas of the state, as well as representation from both small and large districts. The board members shall be elected at the annual business meeting of ArkASPA and shall hold office for a period of two years following their election. The Board of Directors shall make provisions for staggering the terms of the board members.
Section 3. The Board of Directors shall meet at least four times each year to conduct the business of the Association. The president or a majority of the board shall determine the time and place of the meetings, and due notice of all meetings shall be given to all members of the Board of Directors.
Section 4. A quorum of the Board of Directors shall be a majority of its members.
Section 5. In the event that a vacancy occurs on the Board, the Board of Directors shall appoint a member to serve the remainder of the unexpired term.
Section 6. Members of the Board may have their offices declared vacant by the Board of Directors if they are no longer an active member of the Association. They may also be removed for malfeasance, misfeasance, or nonfeasance by a two-thirds vote of all members of the Board of Directors.
Section 7. The ArkASPA president shall serve on the AAEA Board of Directors.
Section 8. At intervals to be determined by the AAEA Board of Directors, ArkASPA shall elect one member to be placed on the AAEA election ballot for the position of AAEA secretary/treasurer. The nominee shall be selected in a manner determined by the ArkASPA Board of Directors. Any such nominee elected to an AAEA office may serve as a non-voting member of the ArkASPA Board of Directors.
Article VIII Meetings of the Association
Section 1. There shall be at least one state meeting of ArkASPA each year.
Section 2. Special state or regional meetings of ArkASPA may be called by the president or a majority of the Board of Directors.
Section 3. The place and time for the state meeting shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
Article IX Committees of the Association
Section 1. There shall be four committees of the Association. Membership will consist of individuals nominated by the ArkASPA president and approved by the Board of Directors. These committees shall be:
1. Legislative and Resolutions Committee
2. Membership Committee
3. Nominating Committee
4. Audit Committee
Article X Expenditure of Funds
Section 1. The board of Directors of ArkASPA shall have the authority to adopt and revise an annual operating budget and to expend any or all funds accrued to ArkASPA.
Article XI Staff
Section 1. The Board of Directors of ArkASPA shall have the authority to employ staff to set salaries, and to discharge staff.
Article XII Authority, Duties, and Responsibilities
Section 1. Except for the authority, duties and responsibilities listed in this Constitution, all other authority, duties, and responsibilities of the organization and the officers thereof shall be set forth in the Bylaws. The Board of Directors shall have the authority to act on all matters that are not prohibited by this Constitution.
Article XIII Incorporation
Section 1. The Board of Directors shall have the authority to incorporate this Association as a nonprofit organization under the statues of the state of Arkansas.
Article XIV Ratification
Section 1. The constitution shall become effective when it has been ratified by a majority vote of the members present at the first annual state meeting of ArkASPA.
Article XV Rules of Order
Section 1. Robert's Rules of Order Revised shall guide in all official meetings of the Association.
Article XVI Amendments
Section 1. Proposed amendments shall be submitted in writing to the Board of Directors of ArkASPA at least sixty (60) days prior to the state association meeting in which the amendment is to be voted on.
Section 2. The Board of Directors may submit the proposed amendment to the membership at an association meeting. The Constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members
present and voting at any annual meeting or special meeting of the Association, except that the amendment shall be submitted to the membership in writing at least thirty (30) days before being presented for a vote.
Article 1 Duties and Responsibilities of the Board of Directors
Section 1. The Board of Directors of ArkASPA shall have the authority to:
1. Make rules and assign responsibilities to all standing and special committees.
2. Develop ways and means of cooperation between professional associations whose aims are not in conflict with the purposes of this Association.
3. Secure benefits such as group insurance, liability insurance, and membership privileges with individuals and corporations for the membership of ArkASPA.
4. Make an annual report on the activities of the Association. This report will cover the fiscal year July 1 through June 30.
5. Collect membership dues.
6. Expend funds of the Association.
7. Make and revise the annual budget.
8. Employ and discharge staff.
9. Set staff salaries.
10. Schedule meetings of the Association.
11. Carry out and enforce the rules governing membership in the Association.
12. Make all necessary rules and regulations to carry out the purposes of the Association.
13. Authorize an association newsletter or magazine in order to keep all members informed.
14. Provide services such as publications, conferences, research, individual counseling, and other services that are not in conflict with the purposes of this Association.
Article II Duties and Responsibilities of Officers
Section 1. The President shall:
1. Preside or arrange for presiding officers at all meetings of the Board of Directors and at any state meeting of ArkASPA.
2. Appoint all committees and the chairperson of each committee with consent of the Board of Directors, except as otherwise provided in the by-laws. Invite committee chairpersons to Board meetings as appropriate.
3. Serve on the AAEA Board of Directors.
4. Serve as communications liaison in all activities and publications of ArkASPA.
5. Perform all other duties normally assigned to this office.
Section 2. The Vice-President/ President Elect shall
1. Act as presiding officer of the Board of Directors in the absence of the president.
2. Serve as a non-voting member of all standing committees.
3. Keep the Board of Directors informed of activities of the standing committees
4. Serve as a liaison to AAEA in program/conference planning.
5. Complete the term as president of the Board of Directors in the event that the office of president of the Board of Directors becomes vacant.
Section 3. The Secretary-Treasurer shall:
1.Keep a complete and accurate record of the proceedings of all meetings of the Board of Directors.
2. Provide a copy of minutes to all members of the Board of Directors.
3. Keep an accurate list of all members of the Association.
4. Work with the executive director to develop the annual budget and present it for approval.
5. Present a treasurer's report at each meeting of the Board of Directors
6. Serve as chairperson of the Audit Committee.
Section 4. The immediate Past-President shall:
1. Continue to serve as a member of the Board of Directors for one year.
2. Serve as chair of the Nominating Committee
3. Be responsible for the review of the Constitution and Bylaws.
Article III Duties and Responsibilities of Standing Committees
Section 1. The Legislative and Resolutions Committee shall:
1. Develop a legislative program that would be in the best interest of this Association.
2. Review all legislation, both state and federal, and recommend a course of action to the Association.
3. Recommend resolutions to the Board of Directors that will support, maintain, and carry out the purposes of the Association.
4. Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Section 2. The Membership Committee shall:
1. Keep an accurate list of all members of the Association. Conduct an annual membership drive.
2. Recommend persons for honorary membership.
3. Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Section 3. The Nominating Committee shall:
1. Consist of the Immediate Past-President (chair) and three additional ArkASPA members selected and approved by the Board.
2. Propose one or more nominees for each vacant position as instructed by the Board of Directors.
3. Propose the slate of nominees to the Board of Directors at least one month prior to the annual ArkASPA election.
4. Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Section 4. The Audit Committee shall:
1. Review the financial records of ArkASPA annually.
2. Submit an annual report to the Board of Directors.
Article IV Duties and Responsibilities of Special Committees
Section 1. The Board of Directors shall have the authority to appoint and assign the duties and responsibilities of special committees.
Section 2. A special committee shall cease to exist when it has completed its work or when it has reached the date that might have been set for the completion of its work or when the Board of Directors has determined that a need for the committee no longer exists.
Article V Amendments to the Bylaws
Section 1. These Bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of the membership present at the annual business meeting or a special meeting. Proposed amendments to the Bylaws shall be submitted in writing to the Board of Directors sixty (60) days prior to the state Association meeting in which the amendment is to be voted on. Members of the Association shall receive any proposed amendment in writing at least thirty (30) days prior to the date that it is presented for a vote.
Article VI Membership Dues
Section 1. The annual membership fee for AAEA and ArkASPA will be established by the membership of AAEA as described by the AA.EA Constitution.
Article VII Transition Year
Section 1. The officers and members of the Board of Directors who are elected to serve in the charter year of ArkASPA shall continue to serve for one year during the first year ArkASPA becomes a constituent organization of AAEA.